Mickey the Mixer

Don't cry Mickey. Don't cry. You'll rust.

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry! I tried... I meant to follow you. To fight with you. Omar and Amos strapped the chain gun to me. It was so heavy. Not, in a physical sense. Not heavy like concrete is heavy. Heavy like death is heavy. I just stared at it. Amos was trying to tell me how to fire it. I know they gave it to me because they expected me to be useless in a fight, and I am.

I hate Bullet-Spitters. What makes you do that? Design yourself so that the only thing you're good for is killing people. Why are there so many of them? And Goshi loves it. They love it when we turn each other into heaps of shrapnel.

I'm sorry, Sue. They scared me. I'm still scared. I haven't moved the whole time. I saw Omar and Amos go in. I heard the fighting. I heard your scream of rage Sue and I knew you were angry because your boys were dying. You've tried so hard to protect us. I know that. I know we have to protect each other and to be brave, but I... I do the dishes.

I didn't climb in the lift. I found a dark nook and I stayed there. I watched the Bullet-Spitters without eyes come out of the shadows and stand, waiting for the lift to come back up. You came out and you were so angry Sue. Even the Allskin was risking his life, getting shot and bleeding. Even the beautiful Vorax - she had a look on her face that I never want to see again, ever. She cut - she cut one of them in half. I was sick then, quietly, in my hand.

You all left, and I stayed hiding. I couldn't come out and tell you that I hadn't been able to help in the battle. I couldn't do that, so I stayed hidden. I heard more gunshots later, a long way off, and I was afraid you were dead.

It stayed silent for a long time. I didn't think I would ever leave that nook, but then I saw the pink light. A wavery pink light coming around the corner. It was like flame dancing around a man's fist. A Biomade. I nearly shot him, but the realization that I hadn't been able to shoot even the horrible eyeless Bullet-Spitters made me stop. I was not about to kill anyone. He wore a long dark coat of some fancy fabric, and his black hair was cut so long it fell over his eyes.

He walked right up to me. He had a finger to his lips making a shushing sound and for some reason it made me feel much better.

It's okay, Mickey. He didn't speak out loud. He said it in my mind.

You don't need to be scared anymore. Sue and the others will be back very soon. Why don't you go home and get the place ready for them.

That sounded fine. I could do that. I would get some more candy out for High Dive. I like watching her eat candy.

Everything will be fine. I just need you to give them a little message for me.

Okay. I can be a messenger.

He leaned in close to me and touched my forehead. There was a bright flash and for a moment I couldn't see. When my vision cleared his face was right there in front of me, with his hair brushed to the side. He had the strangest pink eyes. No. Red. Blood Red.

Go home now Mickey. Everything will be fine.

2 comments:

Douglas Underhill said...

This is going to end in laughter and joy.

Paul Wise said...

Yes. Clearly, this is a thing of laughter, joy, and puppies.


Ruins

Cities